Thursday, August 27th turned out to be the actual day Dr. Waner would change Kaela's life forever. All went pretty much the same as our first attempt but this time it ended in Michaela finally being Hemangioma free! We arrived about the same time as we did on Monday and waited a bit longer in the little pre-surgery room. Her surgery was scheduled for 10am but ended up beginning at 10:46am. It is all becomming a blur but I remember getting dressed in my scrub gear (and charming hat) and being wisked off to the OR while holding Kaela. As soon as we got there they sat me in a little chair next to the tiny operating table and Michaela literally had no clue what was about to happen. They asked her if she liked stickers and then proceeded to tease her by wrapping a little sticky monitor with a red light around her thumb. K was NOT impressed by their trick (maybe assumed she was getting a fun Elmo sticker or something) and pulled it off and threw it. They said it was okay and they would worry about it later. Right then as K was innocently looking around the room sitting on my lap, someone came from behind her and braced her head in their hands. Then someone else took the mask with anesthesia and oxygen and cupped her nose and mouth with it. Right then she looked at me with her eyes so wide and scared. It literally broke my heart in a million pieces. She began to kick and cry and the deeper the breaths she took, the faster the anesthesia worked on her. I couldn't take the look on her face at that point so I looked away but still held on to her as tight as I could. She was now asleep and EXTREMELY heavy! I had to lift her onto the table myself with gigantic tears in my eyes and give her a kiss on her shoulder since there were what felt like 100 people grabbing at her and adjusting her onto the table. At that moment, the longest 2 hours and 45 minutes of my life had begun. K's anesthesiologist was the kindest man ever. He updated us a few times on how well she was doing which was very comforting. Finally we were told she was all done and we could go see her!! We practically ran into the room where a nurse was holding her and she was crying with a very weak pathetic cry. She was still coming out of the anesthesia. I scooped her up and held her for a little over an hour. She had 3 bottles and slowly came around. I was in shock by how different she looked without her Hemangioma! It was incredible. Michael's first reaction was, "Oh my God she looks just like Nathan!" Once she was more coherent the first word out of her mouth was, "Elmo!" (She is slightly obsessed with him!!) The car ride home was perfect! She slept most of the way! After returning home we were greeted with our wonderful family and an awesome dinner!! And after a fun day with cousins Shea and Matthew Nathan got to see his little sister for the first time without her beauty mark. I asked him if he noticed anything different and he just said, "Yes. She has bandages all over her face." Then later that night after everyone had left he said, "Mommy, I wish we could put that boo boo back on Michaela's face." He truly does miss it but I think he is getting more used to it being gone now. Since her surgery Michaela has been making such amazing progress and is healing beautifully. I am SO proud of this little girl. I don't know where she gets her strength and bravery from but I thank God everyday that she has it. I could not love this baby anymore than I do at this moment. She is truly amazing.
Monday, August 31, 2009
Take 2-Kaela's REAL Surgery Day!
Thursday, August 27th turned out to be the actual day Dr. Waner would change Kaela's life forever. All went pretty much the same as our first attempt but this time it ended in Michaela finally being Hemangioma free! We arrived about the same time as we did on Monday and waited a bit longer in the little pre-surgery room. Her surgery was scheduled for 10am but ended up beginning at 10:46am. It is all becomming a blur but I remember getting dressed in my scrub gear (and charming hat) and being wisked off to the OR while holding Kaela. As soon as we got there they sat me in a little chair next to the tiny operating table and Michaela literally had no clue what was about to happen. They asked her if she liked stickers and then proceeded to tease her by wrapping a little sticky monitor with a red light around her thumb. K was NOT impressed by their trick (maybe assumed she was getting a fun Elmo sticker or something) and pulled it off and threw it. They said it was okay and they would worry about it later. Right then as K was innocently looking around the room sitting on my lap, someone came from behind her and braced her head in their hands. Then someone else took the mask with anesthesia and oxygen and cupped her nose and mouth with it. Right then she looked at me with her eyes so wide and scared. It literally broke my heart in a million pieces. She began to kick and cry and the deeper the breaths she took, the faster the anesthesia worked on her. I couldn't take the look on her face at that point so I looked away but still held on to her as tight as I could. She was now asleep and EXTREMELY heavy! I had to lift her onto the table myself with gigantic tears in my eyes and give her a kiss on her shoulder since there were what felt like 100 people grabbing at her and adjusting her onto the table. At that moment, the longest 2 hours and 45 minutes of my life had begun. K's anesthesiologist was the kindest man ever. He updated us a few times on how well she was doing which was very comforting. Finally we were told she was all done and we could go see her!! We practically ran into the room where a nurse was holding her and she was crying with a very weak pathetic cry. She was still coming out of the anesthesia. I scooped her up and held her for a little over an hour. She had 3 bottles and slowly came around. I was in shock by how different she looked without her Hemangioma! It was incredible. Michael's first reaction was, "Oh my God she looks just like Nathan!" Once she was more coherent the first word out of her mouth was, "Elmo!" (She is slightly obsessed with him!!) The car ride home was perfect! She slept most of the way! After returning home we were greeted with our wonderful family and an awesome dinner!! And after a fun day with cousins Shea and Matthew Nathan got to see his little sister for the first time without her beauty mark. I asked him if he noticed anything different and he just said, "Yes. She has bandages all over her face." Then later that night after everyone had left he said, "Mommy, I wish we could put that boo boo back on Michaela's face." He truly does miss it but I think he is getting more used to it being gone now. Since her surgery Michaela has been making such amazing progress and is healing beautifully. I am SO proud of this little girl. I don't know where she gets her strength and bravery from but I thank God everyday that she has it. I could not love this baby anymore than I do at this moment. She is truly amazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think I know where she gets her "strength and bravery" from!!! ;)
ReplyDelete